THE 8,5-MONTH PROGRAMME : FIND YOUR SKILLS - DISCOVER YOUR VOICE
The 8½-month programme at the European Film College is a place of opportunity. Opportunity to explore and develop your ideas, your talent and yourself. Opportunity to take chances and make mistakes and to do it in a safe, encouraging and inspiring environment. Join the programme and get the chance to produce, live and breathe film for almost a year. Work and live in a place where your fellow students, your teachers, the films you see and the professional filmmakers you meet will come from all corners of the world.
During the 8½-month film foundation programme you get the opportunity to:
- Immerse yourself in hands-on filmmaking
- Develop your special creative skills under the guidance of professionals from the film industry, working in the Danish folk high school tradition
- Get massive hands-on experience combined with common lectures and screenings
- Be part of an intense film environment where you and your fellow students will produce over 170 films in 34 weeks, using state of the art film equipment
- Learn about all aspects of the film world, including how to work in real film crews
- Start an international network with fellow students and filmmakers from all over the world
The next 8 1/2 months programme starts 28 August 2017.
Elements in the programme
The film foundation course consists of the following:
- 1 intro week
- 1 week of "The Five Obstructions"
- 3 basic 5-week courses in 3 different fields*. Basic courses are: Directing Fiction, Directing Documentary, Acting, Screenwriting, Camera Operation, Sound, Editing with Avid, Creative Producing, and Lighting for Film.
- Extensive teaching in the process of making a film in terms of pre- and postproduction as well as collaboration and crossover between fields
- Film production (course films) during each basic course period
- A broad selection of specialized/advanced courses and workshops in the spring.
- Several major school projects (including Final Films)
- Student trip to a film festival in Europe
- Workshops (set design, story boarding, animation and much more)
- Clubs and societies
- Common lectures with guest teachers and filmmakers from all over the world
In each course period the classes consist of maximum 15 students, so you will have intense and thorough teaching. You will get approximately 25 hours of class-teaching every week during course periods, and each of the basic course periods ends with a course exercise.
The courses are integrated, which means you will meet various disciplines in the individual course. An example could be that students in directing class make exercises with students in cinematography class – and later in the same course period they work together with the students doing acting class etc.
Program taught in: