Summer courses in
SUSTAINABLE CITIES OF THE FUTURE THE TECHNOLOGIES OF NATURE BIO- CITY | BIO-ARCHITECTURE | BIO-ENERGY | CIRCULAR BIO-SOCIETY ESTP Paris - École Spéciale des Travaux Publics, du Bâtiment et de l'Industrie
Building healthier, environmentally respectful cities that foster a flourishing economy and society is still one of the biggest challenges of our century.
Creating sustainable cities requires holistic, system-based approaches to the multiple environmental, societal, and economic hazards. It is necessary to consider the co-benefits and unintended consequences and have an in-depth understanding of the complex societal, technological and environmental barriers and the enablers for effective change.
While modern technologies give many answers, nature shows us how to integrate human activity into the natural cycle and to harmonize the creations of people and nature.
Bio-inspired solutions/technologies are increasingly explored and applied in practice due to their higher contribution to sustainability.
We invite students from engineering, architectural, urbanistic, environmental and societal studies, or related fields to join us for an innovative, multidisciplinary, and exciting two-week summer program.
Required academic level:
• Master’s degree students
• Ph.D. students
• Young researchers and professionals who want to improve and find new
opportunities in their work and research
• Advanced Bachelor’s degree students
Recommended English level:
Program themes and topics
The program includes 25 hours/week:
- Research laboratories and company visits
We invite students to join us for an innovative, multidisciplinary and exciting summer program and discover how sustainable thinking can be inspired by the laws of nature and to explore how technology can contribute to creating sustainable cities for the future.
Built around the topics of Bioenergy, Bio-Architecture, Bio-Technology and Circular Bio-Society, the 2023 summer school is a journey from theory to practice experienced on campus, in companies and research laboratories, in nature, and in cities.
The academic program includes, but is not limited to, the following themes and topics:
• System thinking and introduction to the laws of nature and their applicability in architecture and urban planning
• Sustainable Energy in the cities of the future: Bioenergy: biomass, biofuel; Solar Energy, Energy Supply & Management, smart grids
• Bio-architecture, regenerative architecture, and bio-urbanism: artificial intelligence in urban planning, sustainable materials and AI-based applications in sustainable material development, 3D printing for sustainable architecture, netzero carbon construction
• Bio-society, Bio-metric technology and circular economy in the cities of the Future
to be announced
• Earn 3.5 ECTS
• Be part of an integrative and multidisciplinary approach to the topic and latest materials and technologies applied to the field of bio-architecture and bio-urbanism presented by French and international experts from universities, research institutions and companies
• Have fun while enjoying a multicultural and multidisciplinary experience and start creating your future
• Visit research laboratories and companies and be inspired by firsthand professionals
• Build an international professional network
• Enrich your profile with cultural visits and field trips