Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
In an increasingly interconnected, globalized and complex world, where the importance of multilateral dialogue and cooperation is ever growing, the demand for training and capacity development in the field of international affairs and diplomacy is constantly rising. In this regard, the establishment of this on-line Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies between the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) and the Open University of Catalonia (UOC) holds great significance.
This PG Certificate is designed to be perfectly suited to the needs of students and professionals interested in both developing their understanding of international affairs, as well as strengthening their capacities in the field of regional studies. This PG Certificate will allow diplomats, government officials, students and other stakeholders to upgrade their studies and knowledge combining the best of university education and UN executive training.
The Programme is aimed at diplomats as well as staff of governmental and non-governmental organizations. Additionally, the PG Certificate is open to graduate students, young researchers and other academics interested in gaining a thorough understanding of diplomacy and international relations and acquiring soft skills to thrive in their careers.
Program Tuition Fee
To receive the PG Certificate in World Studies, issued by the UOC in partnership with UNITAR, students must complete the following courses equivalent to 32 ECTS in one year.
- Introduction to the UN System
- Field visit to Geneva, Switzerland (optional)
- Field visit to The Hague, the Netherlands (optional)
- International Law and Institutions
- International Relations System and Theories
- International Political Economy
- European Union in World Politics
- Latin America in World Politics
- Eastern Asia in World Politics
- Africa in World Politics
- Middle East in World Politics
Students will also have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the very heart of diplomacy or into the city of peace and justice. Optional field trips to Geneva, Switzerland (5 days) and The Hague, the Netherlands (5 days) will be organized for those who wish to gain expertise as well as skills in the domain of multilateral diplomacy.
UNITAR and UOC have developed an extensive expertise in the delivery of online programmes. Using Internet as a medium, students, diplomats, practitioners and scholars are brought together in a unique virtual learning environment designed to valorize experiential and collaborative learning.
Distinctive features of the PG Certificate include:
- Full online delivery, allowing for a flexible schedule designed to fit the specific needs of working professionals;
- Student-centered approach, in which the learner and the learning experience at the core of the programme;
- Leading-edge insights into prevailing theories and practices;
- Lifelong learning approach, in which the workplace is used as the main learning environment;
- Multi-cultural pedagogy, particularly attentive at the diversity of paradigms, perceptions and intellectual traditions;
- Multi-disciplinary approach.
The Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies will enable you to strengthen your performance in multilateral settings, to foster your understanding of regional politics and to leverage your career perspectives by connecting with high-level representatives, diplomats, academics, and other experts.
At the end of the Programme, students should be able to:
- Develop a critical understanding of key issues and concepts in world affairs;
- Demonstrate a comprehensive, substantive and practical knowledge of international relations and diplomacy;
- Develop analytical skills and critical thinking;
- Improve research and drafting skills