Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
The Programme is aimed at diplomats as well as staff of governmental and non-governmental organizations. Additionally, the PG Certificate is open to graduate students, young researchers and other academics interested in gaining a thorough understanding of diplomacy and international relations and acquiring soft skills to thrive in their careers.
Program Tuition Fee
In order to be considered for this PG Certificate, candidates must be fluent in English, possess a valid passport or national identity cards and have completed an undergraduate degree(*).
During the registration process please upload the following documents:
- a copy of your CV
- a copy of your bachelor degree certificate
- motivation letter
After reception of these documents, your application will be carefully considered. In case your application is successful, UNITAR will send you an acceptance email. Once your confirmation is received, UOC will send you another link by which you can complete your official registration with UOC and proceed with the payment.UOC will also ask you to provide the following document:
- Copy of passport
Upon registration, UNITAR will transfer students' data to UOC. UOC has a joint controllership with regard to students' personal data provided during the registration process.
(*) Students who successfully complete the Programme and are unable to offer proof that they hold an official university degree will be issued a university extension diploma with the programme’s name.
To receive the PG Certificate in World Studies, issued by the UOC in partnership with UNITAR, students must complete the following courses equivalent to 32 ECTS in one year.
- Introduction to the UN System
- Field visit to Geneva, Switzerland (optional)
- Field visit to The Hague, the Netherlands (optional)
- International Law and Institutions
- International Relations System and Theories
- International Political Economy
- European Union in World Politics
- Latin America in World Politics
- Eastern Asia in World Politics
- Africa in World Politics
- Middle East in World Politics
Students will also have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the very heart of diplomacy or into the city of peace and justice. Optional field trips to Geneva, Switzerland (5 days) and The Hague, the Netherlands (5 days) will be organized for those who wish to gain expertise as well as skills in the domain of multilateral diplomacy.
UNITAR and UOC have developed an extensive expertise in the delivery of online programmes. Using Internet as a medium, students, diplomats, practitioners and scholars are brought together in a unique virtual learning environment designed to valorize experiential and collaborative learning.
Distinctive features of the PG Certificate include:
- Full online delivery, allowing for a flexible schedule designed to fit the specific needs of working professionals;
- Student-centered approach, in which the learner and the learning experience at the core of the programme;
- Leading-edge insights into prevailing theories and practices;
- Lifelong learning approach, in which the workplace is used as the main learning environment;
- Multi-cultural pedagogy, particularly attentive at the diversity of paradigms, perceptions and intellectual traditions;
- Multi-disciplinary approach.
The Post-Graduate Certificate in World Studies will enable you to strengthen your performance in multilateral settings, to foster your understanding of regional politics and to leverage your career perspectives by connecting with high-level representatives, diplomats, academics, and other experts.
At the end of the Programme, students should be able to:
- Develop a critical understanding of key issues and concepts in world affairs;
- Demonstrate a comprehensive, substantive and practical knowledge of international relations and diplomacy;
- Develop analytical skills and critical thinking;
- Improve research and drafting skills