About Wanderlust Exchange
Wanderlust Exchange was founded in 2014, with opportunities that integrate educational travel, volunteering, Mandarin learning, childcare and English tutoring together for overseas youngsters. This is a great way to experience China with an authentic touch by staying with Chinese host families.
The English loanword "wanderlust" dates as far back as Middle High German. Wanderlust reflects an intense urge for self-development by experiencing the unknown, confronting unforeseen challenges, getting to know unfamiliar cultures, ways of life and behaviors.
We provide students with quality authentic cultural experiences, with an aim to bridge culture divide, to help participants develop the self-awareness and cross-cultural competencies to be active participants in the world.
We believe getting to know another culture with your comfort zone pushed makes us individuals globe citizens with a broad vision, leniency, flexibility and better understanding of ourselves.
In the book<Physics of The Impossible> written by Michil Kaaku, he mentioned three levels of civilization grouped by Russian astrophysicist Nikolai Kardashev:
1. Type I civilization: All planetary power is within their control.
2. Type II civilization: those that can utilize the entire power of the sun.
3. Type III civilization: those that can utilize the power of the entire galaxy. They freely roam the space lanes of the galaxy.
He discussed that our own civilization qualifies to Type 0 civilization. We utilize only a tiny fraction of the sun's energy that falls on our planet. But already we see the beginning of a Type I civilization emerging on the Earth:the Internet is connecting the entire planet; the rise of the European Union; English is the number one second language on the Earth; Local cultures and customs will continue to thrive in thousands of varieties on the Earth, but there will be a planetary culture dominate the mosaics of people.
The most dangerous transition may be between a Type 0 and Type 1 civilization. A Type 0 civilization is still wracked with the sectarianism, fundamentalism, and racism that typified its rise.
Through this intercultural experience, we hope you will truly gain a better understanding of the world as well as yourselves, with more leniency, understanding and appreciation, with a more broadened mind, view and heart.
- We aim to help participants develop the self-awareness and cross-cultural competencies to be active participants in the world
- We aim to help participants obtain Mandarin language skills through this language learning and immersion experience.
- We aim to help the younger generation (host children) broaden their horizon through this intercultural exchange, both linguistically and culturally.
- We aim to offer host parents the opportunity to learn about a foreign culture, to foster an everlasting friendship with participants.
- We aim to bridge culture divide through this authentic culture exchange program, creating more understanding, which is crucial for making the world a better place to live.
Why Wanderlust Exchange?
- We CARE about your having a great experience during your stay in China, thus we screen host families discreetly
- We deliver handy orientation course upon your arrival
- We hold various cultural activities for you to further explore Chinese culture
- We would love to see you grow through such experience
- We would love to be the guide during your lifetime adventure in China
- We are here to "cherish your caring&loving soul, enlighten your wanderlust spirit".
This school offers programs in: