Victoria Junior College was established as a part of the Victoria school system on February 4, 1925. During the first session of operation, classes were conducted on the third floor of the Patti Welder High School while a new building was being constructed to house the college. This building, which joined the Patti Welder Junior High School, served as the college home until the end of the 1948-49 session.
The growth of the community in the war and post-war years gave the impetus to an expansion movement, which resulted in making the college a county-wide institution. The people of the county accomplished this change in a special election on December 2, 1947. In June of the following year, the people of the county voted a $750,000 bond issue to provide a new site and new buildings for the growing institution. On January 10, 1949, the Board of Trustees changed the name from Victoria Junior College to The Victoria College. A new site for the college was purchased in 1948, and four new buildings were constructed during 1948 and 1949. All college activities were transferred to the present campus in September 1949.
Since the first bond issue in 1947, the voters of The Victoria County Junior College District have approved four tax bond issues totalling $56 million, and the college has issued $10 million in revenue bonds. The funds from these bond issues have been used to purchase additional land and construct some buildings to accommodate the growth of Victoria College and the University of Houston-Victoria.
77901 Victoria, Texas, USA